Re: Intel 82801G Sound Issues

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Intel 82801G Sound Issues
An interesting end note to this thread and as documentation for posterity:

Tonight I booted into Windows XP for the first time since on the day I
bought the notebook. I wanted to download the latest security updates
and then ignore it again.

After doing this I told the system to reboot (not power down). When I
arrived back in OpenSUSE 10.1 Linux, I had no sound. I logged out and
back in. No sound. I told it to reboot (again, not power down). No
sound. I told it to power down and then powered back up. Sound!

I tested again by booting Windows, reboot, Linux, no sound, power cycle,
sound. It appears that Windows sets the sound card in some way that
prevents sound from working in Linux and does not get reset without
removing power. There is an audio hardware and/or firmware designer not
clearing state on a system reset!

Alan