Re: Internet is up verification

Author: Shawn Badger
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Internet is up verification
I already have software to put up alarms on this side, I just want to
make sure that if I do wget every 30 seconds that my IP won't be blocked
by any of the larger sites that I use to verify my connectivity. The
reason I choose 30 seconds is because the people responsible for the
getting the call want to know within 2 minutes of a problem. That gives
me 4 consecutive failures before an alarm is set. I am basically doing
what George is doing now except I am polling 5 different sites (that I
don't own) and if all the site error out for 2 minutes, then my program
sends out the needed alerts.

It looks like the larger sites aren't even going to notice my traffic,
but I wanted to make sure I didn't cause any problems or get my source
IP black listed by any sites. I don't mind paying a small fee, but I
don't need them to monitor it for me, I just need a highly available
site that won't mind me doing very repetitive and frequent http gets
or/and pings.