Re: Internet is up verification

Author: George Toft
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Internet is up verification
While I was having issues with Qwest, I set up a script on my firewall
to ping the upstream router for 60 seconds and it would save the results
to a text file. Then it would repeat. The text file gave me very good
ammunition when Qwest would tell me there were no problems as I had
minute-by-minute connectivity results.

Right now, I have a machine that pulls a specific page (sitewatch.txt)
from my web server once each minute. If it fails, I get notified.
Needless to say, if the failure is my ISP, I don't get notified
immediately :) but I can always check the logs.

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
623-203-1760