Internet is up verification

Author: Shawn Badger
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Internet is up verification
I was wondering if anybody knows of website that will allow you to ping
and do wgets every couple seconds to verify your Internet connectivity?
I have thought about just polling some of my favorite sites every couple
seconds, but then I thought, they may not appreciate that kind of
traffic and may block my request. Does anybody know if say google or /.
blocks IP's for this reason and if there is a service out there that
specifically allows for this kind of test?

Thanks!