Re: move Stammtisch?

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: move Stammtisch?
Am 25. May, 2005 schwätzte Kevin Brown so:

> The stammtisch has always been just a scheduled informal get together of
> users. Nothing stopping people in the other areas of the valley (North,
> South, West, far East) from having their own. Heck, we could have a
> meeting every day of the month, heheh.

Thank you Kevin. That has always been my take on the Stammtisch.

There should be local Stammtische. I have encouraged people in different
parts of the Valley to find a location and just start meeting there the
3rd Tuesday of the month[1].

Heck, we could meet at the Muse *and* at Plaid :).

That bring up what I see as the biggest problem, though. Namely, we
don't get much participation. Usually we have maybe a half dozen people
there. Not much of a draw. At Bandersnatch we were often drawing 20 and 30
people.

The Stammtisch is my thing. It's seperate from PLUG because I specifically
want to make sure people in ASULUG, DeLUG, EMCCLUG, etc. feel welcome to
participate. I also don't want the 'east siders' vs. 'west siders' thing
to get in the way. I also want people who don't participate in a LUG to
feel free to show up.

At the same time, it's a bit inconvenient for me to make it every month. I
do it because I think it's good for us to get some face time. This month
we had several new people show up. One has a lot of interest and energy.
He's not a computer guy, but he's moving law offices to Free Software and
runs his business off LAMP. We got to talk because we were at the
Stammtisch.

The GNU/Linux Stammtisch has been running for over 3 years. Next month
will be the first time I've missed it[2]. In order to start a Stammtisch
somewhere else we really need 2 or 3 people to agree to meet and make sure
at least one of them shows up every month.

Any suggestions for other parts of the Valley? Any coffee shops or bars
near I-17 and something that have free wireless? Near the 51 up north?

The other meetings don't need to be the third Tuesday starting at 19:00,
but that's what I'd prefer.

ciao,

der.hans

[1] In fact I just might be doing that at the end of the summer as Tempe
might no longer be convenient for me. That's a different topic than moving
the current location, though.

[2] I will hopefully be in Europe for a few weeks :).
#  HERE LIES LESTER MOORE
#  SHOT 4 TIMES WITH A .44
#  NO LES
#  NO MOORE