Re: move Stammtisch?

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: move Stammtisch?
Dennis Kibbe wrote:

> --- Richard Whitney <> wrote:
>
> From: Richard Whitney <> Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 07:12:43
> -0700 To: Subject: Re: move
> Stammtisch?
>
> What about something more centralized - say Central and Indian School
>

> <SNIP>
>
> Even though I live in Tempe, I agree that we need to think of the
> whole Valley. maybe even rotate the venue?

The stammtisch has always been just a scheduled informal get together of
users. Nothing stopping people in the other areas of the valley (North,
South, West, far East) from having their own. Heck, we could have a
meeting every day of the month, heheh.

The problem with any meeting location is the sheer size of the valley.
During the earlier years of the plug (before Azoto and the Steering
Committee) the meetings were held whenever someone asked about one and
were just impromptu installfests really. I did a survey of the users
and found from the cross streets that were submitted to me that the
group really is physically divided into two geographic regions. Users
were clustered in the East valley and the Northwest valley with huge
tracts of land between the two clusters.

Given how much the group has grown since then, I would guess that those
clusters have just gotten more dense and at most had the centers of the
two clusters shift slightly, but further apart (e.g. NW moved further up
the I-17 and out towards the 101).

I have no problems redoing that map again with new data if people are
interested. I wouldn't need more than the major cross streets and zip
code from users to get it going again.