Re: Best server distro...?

Author: jon
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Best server distro...?
I think Gentoo would be fine if I wanted to spend a ton of time tweaking
this box to get every last little bit of performance out of it, but
let's face it -- I neither have the time, nor the desire to muck about
with every little possible setting.

After all, I've got about a billion other jobs to do.

Server-wise, I'd like something as close to "set it and forget it" as I
can find... and it sounds like Debian should work just fine. I picked up
the O'Reilly book on Linux RAIDs, but I might be back with more
questions about that.

I'm assuming that by "enterprise," folks are talking about stuff like
Oracle, SAP, etc... We're not doing anything like -- we're 100% OSS on
the server side and I can't see us deviating from that. If we're feeling
exceptionally crazy, we might give Postres a try...

Otherwise, we're all about PHP, Perl, Mysql, Apache, etc...

(By the way -- if you're a LAMP person looking for a job, email me offlist.)

    -- jon