Re: DVD, Copyright, and Speed Limits

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: DVD, Copyright, and Speed Limits
Art wrote:

> <<SNIP>>
>
>Seriously, I've wondered about some of these technical specifications.
>My speculation is that there are patents or IP rights protected by
>enough laws to compel manufacturers to limit DVD playback and
>recordings.

In fact, the largest holder of patents regarding DVD technology is Sony,
they're also one of the largest owners of copyrights for sound
recordings and motion pictures, and an anchor member of the RIAA and
MPAA. Much of the reason "DRM" is such a big deal is because of Sony,
and their incredibly proprietary attitude (and deep desire to create and
maintain monopolies), coupled with their patent-backed ability to force
things like CSS on the entire DVD industry.

>In principal, I don't see an issue. I.e., if you don't steal IP to
>turn a profit or legitimately cheat someone from their livelihood,
>there is not moral nor ethical dilemma.

I happen to agree with many that there's no such thing as "IP". What
people do is violate legitimate copyright and patent provisions. The
crime, and it is a crime, is not a property rights crime (like stealing
a purse), it's a civil rights crime (like slapping someone for fun, and
yes that's really happening in the UK these days, it's the latest "fad",
called "happy slapping"). The reason that the ASP, MPAA and RIAA have,
rather successfully, modified public perception of this type of crime is
that it helps them eliminate the rights we do have, since they're not
terribly concerned with the real criminals, but with controlling the
distribution channels for "their" products. I do my best to adhere to
the law as it stands, but I also work to change bad laws where I can. I
view civil disobedience as a last-ditch act brought on by laws that
truly offend the conscience, and therefore *cannot* be legitimately
obeyed. In all other cases, there exist, in this country, adequate legal
means to change any law with which I may disagree, it just takes longer.

>BTW, Is 150 mph too fast for a straight-a-away? :->
>(How can you have a fatality at 20 mph? - but you do!)

Generally, yes, 150mph is too fast, unless the environment is a raceway
or other road designed for that velocity, since that kind of speed is
pretty destructive to the road surface, and thus endangers the other
users of the road.
At 20 mph a typical passenger vehicle has the momentum of a 500Kg anvil
dropped from about 3 stories up. That kind of force tends to do
significant damage to whatever it hits, and human bodies often cannot
withstand that much damage (depending on exactly which body parts break
as a result).