Re: Copyright, DRM and the whole mess of $@% was Re: Shockwa…

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Copyright, DRM and the whole mess of $@% was Re: Shockwave on Linux
On Friday 22 April 2005 01:58 pm, wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 wrote:
> > Imagine a landlord who placed a lock on your apartment pantry,so he
> > can charge $1 every time it was opened.
>
> Said land lord would go out of business quite quickly, as no one would
> move in. Unless of course the contract was signed under false
> pretences, or the policy was instigated in the middle of a lease, or he
> kept everything in the apartment if you refused to renew under the new
> terms (data lock in) in which case, the land lord is infringing on the
> rites of the tenet and laws should be in place to protect them as well.

Thus, the "landlords" of content (RIAA, MPAA, etc.) continue to attempt to
pass laws that block people from providing "free pantry access" (DMCA,
Induce Act, broadcast flag, etc.) so that they can get their $1 from the
public because the public has no where else to go.

In reality, I don't care that someone wants $ for every access to the
content they control. I do care when those someones try to eliminate,
dis-allow or quash content that doesn't require $.

Alan