When is it not okay to delete cache files?

Author: Josef Lowder
To: PLUG
Subject: When is it not okay to delete cache files?

I use cdrecord from the command line to burn a cd backup
of all of my home directory files, and when I do that, the
process displays a long list of files with the message:

    "Using CACHEnnnn.ZZZ for /home/joe/....... "

A long list of numbers appears instead of "nnnn.ZZZ" and
corresponding "cache" filenames appear instead of "......."
in the above example.

Most of these filenames appear in "dot" (.) subdirectories and
many have dates a year or two old.

Is there any reason why any of these files cannot be deleted
off my system?