Re: Installfest Research

Author: Trent Shipley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Installfest Research
On Thursday 2005-03-31 23:23, wrote:
> Quoting Trent Shipley <>:
> > There is still the possibility that ASULUG, with its greater interest in
> >
> > Mega-Installfests, would have more interest in Devel Project's services.
> > If
> > so, then we would still have a first client for an Event Software
> > Integration
> > Project. ASULUG's next meeting is 23 April (I am told). I hope to have
> > more
> > after that.
>
> ASULUG's Mega Install fest is still quite interested in being an EPP/PEP
> “client”,

I'm MUCH less comfortable with Event Planning as a summation of the project.
As I go into it further I have trouble finding a central theme. Events seem
like bunches of stuff, and that lack of a "clean" domain may be why there is
no "killer application".

For now I am thinking of this proposal as "Event Software Integration".

> I will work on a data model (maybe tomorrow night) and let you know

Bryan, did you ever get around to that data model?

If not it is no big deal.

I am more interested in
-- how many Mega-Installfests have been held by ASULUG
-- what artifacts have been produced (checklists, volunteer lists [especially
if they include functional titles], functions performed, meeting minutes,
flyers, artifacts from the event itself, and follow-up materials if any.)

(( The first effect of working on installfests may not be machine software
_per se_, but installfest process improvement. As in, "in the future maybe
we should do a post mortem".))

In this context I am not familiar with 'instance' as a technical term. I
assume you are using it to mean "an item" or "for each item or instance".

> and requires tracking of
> Users (instance) - Demographic info -Related to- Install instance, gifts
> (instance), etc…
> Volunteers (instance) - Related to- Skills, Donations (instance),
> Presentations, Installs (instance), Equipment (Instance), etc….
> Equipment (instance)- Related to- Responsible volunteer, Purpose, etc…
> Gifts…
> Users computer as instance built from generals
> Distro's installed
> Apps installed
> Locations,
> Waivers, and other legal documents and contracts..
> Etc, etc, etc.

Rephrasing the above I get:

Participant types (each generates paper work)
-- end consumer
---- attender, information seeker
---- help-desk consumer
------ private citizen
------ charity
------ business

-- private volunteer
---- support services
---- machine system services
---- IT consultant
---- installer/trouble shooter
---- trainer
---- demonstrator
---- presenter

-- government sponsor

-- charitable sponsor

-- commercial|quasi-comercial sponsor/underwriter
(quasi-commercial example: Army Recruiting shows off toys.)

-- commercial vendor

-- beneficiary (eg "all proceeds go to ...")
---- charitable
---- government

For each individual Installfest consumer (that is, "attendee" or "installee")
-- collect demographic info

For each "install" or other help instance
-- collect help-desk ticket for install (from PLUG Installfest research)
-- Route help-desk case and "paper work"
---- waivers and other legal formalities
------ collect
------ verify
---- installee equipment (if any. some tickets may be for a business consult)
---- installee problem
---- installer(s)
---- actions taken (eg installed distro)
---- hitches (if any)
---- outcome.

Finance:
-- Track government (University) contributions
---- allocated
---- expended
---- returned|overdraft

-- donations
---- from what kind of participant
------ in labor
------ deductible
-------- in commercial service
-------- in kind
-------- cash or near cash

-- Fees (from commercial vendors for booth space, seminar affiliation, etc.)

-- Estimate on value of extension services supplied to the community.
-- Estimate of knock-on effects (eg, Army Recuiters got 3 leads.)