Re: What does this mean?

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: What does this mean?
On Thursday 24 March 2005 12:01 pm, Lee Einer wrote:
> Audio CDs may not register in a CDROM drive, as the tracks are not
> recognized as files. An audio CD should play, however, as long as the
> CD-ROM's audio cable is connected to the sound card.
>
> Does the CD-ROM play audio, say, through CD Player? If it does not, and
> the audio cable is connected, it is possible that you have a bad CD-ROM
> drive.
>
> I know this is basic, please forgive me if I am stating the obvious.

No, it's a very good point.

I tried a music disk, pushing the play button on the drive itself, and it
doesn't play. The drive lights up when I'm loading a disk into it, then
nothing else happens when I push the play button. I'm probably looking at a
bad drive, but want to eliminate all other possibilities before putting in a
new one.

Using KSCD as root I get the following error:

CD-ROM read or access error (or no audio disc in drive).
Please make sure you have access permissions to:
/dev/cdrom1

In a console, as root:

root@localhost:/home/tigerflag# cd /dev/cdrom1
bash: cd: /dev/cdrom1: No such file or directory