Re: Distros available at InstallFest

Author: Trent Shipley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Distros available at InstallFest
On Saturday 2005-03-19 09:44, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> I'm putting together a "Distro Silo" to bring to the PLUG and ASULUG
> InstallFests loaded with the following distros. My criteria for including
> a distros is 1) There are PLUG members active on the list that can support
> it 2) A good user community exists (either represented on LinusQuestions or
> on the distro's website) 3) It's not a beta version or limited time
> evaluation version 4) Security updates are available on a regular basis. 5)
> There is a free download version (I know I've included a couple that don't
> meet this requirement).
>
> I'm listing a few intersting Live-CDs because they are fun to play with,
> not because they make a good install cadidate. Distros shown in
> parenthesis I'm undecided about. Where possible I'll include PPC, 64-bit
> and DVD versions.
>
> Am I missing anything that you feel *must* be on the list?
>
> There's the list so far:

<snip content="long list"/>

A distro silo is a GOOD idea.

I know that I'd like it to include some version(s) of Debian. I'm on dial up
but would like to use Debian, so a DVD basis would get me started then I
could track and update by internet.

On a different note, Joseph Sinclair suggested that while access to MANY
distributions is desirable, InstallFest's consumers (especially newbies)
would be better served by ENCOURAGING use of just a few distributions.

He suggested pushing an RPM distribution, a DPM distribution (apt-get), and a
distribution for the "serious" hobbiest. By pushing newbies toward a limited
selection, InstallFest producers and regulars will develop distribution
specific expertise; thus, InstallFest will have higher levels of "customer
satisfaction".

Joseph's preferences were:

RPM: SuSE (explicitly over Fedora)
DPM: Ubuntu
Difficult: Slackware (oven Debian)

[Let the distribution flame wars begin!]