Re: How To Choose A Distribution?

Author: Jay Turley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How To Choose A Distribution?
Cool.

The laptop currently has no hard drive; so I will be installing one.

So, pretending I'm really dumb, would I

(a) Download it with my current windows machine, and then burn it onto
CD to load onto the laptop?
(b) Install Windows onto the laptop and then download the disto and
somehow reformat the hard drive then?

Thanks,

Jay

> I have used a lot of different distros over the last several years.

Suse,
> Mandrake, Red Hat, and Fedora 1,2 & 3. But the one I'm using right now,
> Xandros, is about the best one I have tried.
>
> The free version of Xandros 3 can be downloaded by BitTorrent or you

can go to
> Fry's and spend about $60 to get the version that will run Windows Office
> products. It has very smooth hardware detection, and a very solid file
> manager/GUI. It comes out of the box with the java and media plug-ins
> installed in Mozilla.
>
> It does come with an older Evolution mail client. But I was able to

install