Re: Curiosity, why "vmlinuz" vs "bzImage"

Author: Bill Warner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Curiosity, why "vmlinuz" vs "bzImage"
Not sure but it has a lot to to with custom i think.

zImage and bzImage are what make produce. Not sure of the exact details
but they have to do with when high memory is available either before or
after decompressing the kernel. (Many mistake bzImage as being an image
compressed with bzip2. This is not true.)

vmlinux is an uncompressed kernel where as vmlinuz is a compressed
kernel.

I've been running distribution kernels for almost 4 years now and
haven't compiled a kernel for almost that long, so the above may be
dated or just not true because of my fading memory.

-Bill

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 20:09 -0700, Matt Pruett wrote:
> I have always been curious, many distros name the kernel file "vmlinuz",
> why is that? the kernel builds it into a file named bzImage. It always
> seemed to make sence to me to keep it named that, or something like
> bzImage-2.4.24 or whatever. Why the "vm"? why linuz instead of linux?
>
> lol always has bugged me maybe someone knows.

Bill Warner <>