Re: Curiosity, why "vmlinuz" vs "bzImage"

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Curiosity, why "vmlinuz" vs "bzImage"
Matt Pruett wrote:

> I have always been curious, many distros name the kernel file "vmlinuz",
> why is that? the kernel builds it into a file named bzImage. It always
> seemed to make sence to me to keep it named that, or something like
> bzImage-2.4.24 or whatever. Why the "vm"? why linuz instead of linux?
>
> lol always has bugged me maybe someone knows.

I've been reading "Linux Cookbook" (O'Reilly), a book I highly
recommend, and it actually has an answer:

"The name vmlinuz, according to lore, came about because the kernel on
old Unix systems was vmunix. The vm stands for "virtual memory," to
distinguish it from older kernels that did not have this feature. In
your build tree, you'll see a vmlinux file. vmlinuz is the compressed
version of this file. There's no need to be dull and stick with naming
your kernels vmlinuz-$version. You can name them anything you like --
kernel-mustard, kernel-panic, kernel-of-truth, fred-and-ginger ...
anything at all."
--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;