Re: What syntax to connect modem at command line?

Author: Tom Jones
To: PLUG
Subject: Re: What syntax to connect modem at command line?
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Josef Lowder wrote:

> A while ago, I posed this question to the PLUG list,
> but never received a reply. Can anyone help now?
>
> What is the correct syntax to connect a modem at the command line?
> And how does one find which tty has the modem connected?
>
> In the past, I have used the following on a previous system, but it does
> not work on my current system:
>
> cu -lttyS1 ###-###-####
> (substituting the correct phone number for ###)

I'm not sure what you mean by "connect", but you can get you modem to dial
out from the command line. Check your system's docs for whether to use
/dev/cua* or /dev/tty*.

Last time I needed to do something like this it was:

echo "ATH1" > /dev/cua0
echo "ATDT 800-555-1212" > /dev/cua0

But I have found that kppp made life easier.

TJ