Re: easy to install desktop linux distrubution

Author: Devin Rankin
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: easy to install desktop linux distrubution
I had a Fry's gift certificate from Christmas I had not used, so I bought the
Xandros Desktop Version 3 that was on sale there.

I was impressed with the easy set up, the Windows like file manager, and the
Mozilla browser that was set up with the plug ins already installed. Samba
was set to join a domain if I want and it's the only distro I have tried that
showed up on my Windows Network Neighborhood with out any tweeking.

Minor gripes. It only had Open Office, no K Office. It didn't have Gaim
installed as a chat client. It had Evolution 1.4 as its mail client.

But all of those were easily fixed with either the graphic install tool or
apt-get.

Version 3 is not available for free download yet. Version 2 is what they have
up now. But 3 should be up there in about a month.

Devin