Re: Faxing

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Faxing
ec wrote:
> Finding packages is a mystry to me. I think that
> Simply Mepis is debian based...as I understand it. I
> am a noobie as far as anything like that.
>
> I did 'touch' sendfax for efax (think that is the one
> that it said it was 'missing') and it ran a bit
> farther. In fact it said 'done' or something like that
> but NEVER dialed.

That's a nice try Ed. You got me chuckling with that one. If only
'touch' would install missing binaries! (Sorry Ed, I just had to say it)
I can't think of any situation where it would be useful to touch a file
in a directory that contains the word 'bin'. Files there should be
(binary) executables. As Bill said, you need some software that's not
yet installed. (see below for more help)

> Now what? I did/do have the ethernet/dsl/dchp hooked
> up, but it didn't dial the 56K modem.
>
> I previously have used MightyFax in windows, but this
> hard drive/machine doesn't have that.

No need to go there.

> IF push comes to shove, I can d/l mightyfax to the w98
> machine (and pay the $20 for it) that the scanner is
> hooked up to since Sane is supposed to work with this
> scanner but doesn't (another problem, let's not go
> there yet). Or, heaven help, setup dual boot on the
> machine and run the ancient version of MF that is on
> the harddrive that is sitting disconnected as an
> emergency backup when that box was the only box.

Don't go there either.

> Dang state/feds require 'services' for my disabled
> room mate (cancer and spinal problem from 22 years
> ago) or loose his Long Term Care! So I get a whopping
> 2 hrs @ 1
> $12 to take care of him...starting possibly next week.
> If it was left up to me, stuff it pay wise...more
> hassle than worth it. So, running down and paying to
> fax it costs toooooo much. Oh, the 'costs' for the
> 'training/cpr/tb skin test/physical/etc will eat up
> the first couple months of pay anyway.
>
> What is that? Ah, Catch 22??
>
> Now the dang 'pukers' are fighting me...'frustration
> city here I come'.
>
> Geech!

<snip>

Ok, Ed. Settle down. Take a deep breath, and relax.
We'll get you faxing, but it might take a little bit of doing.

As far as I know, faxing software, like many other applications, is
built using the client-server model. In order to make it work, you need
both the client portion and the server portion. The client portion takes
care of gathering the document and destination phone number together,
then it passes the 'job' on to the server portion via a 'spool'. The
server then does the actual sending (and scheduling, receiving, etc.) It
looks to me as if you've been trying to run the client apps without
having the server side installed (and configured).

Examples:
.) KdeprintFax is looking for a program named 'faxspool', and it's not
there.
.) Hylafax (client) is looking for a program named 'sendfax' (the
Hylafax server), and it's not there either.
.) Efax is looking for a program named 'fax', same result.
It seems that you're not getting a dialtone because there's no fax
server application installed.

I should say here that I've only used Hylafax[1] server, with a couple
different (Linux and Windoze) clients. The ksendfax client (among
others) works with a Hylafax server. I don't know about KdeprintFax or
Efax. They might be simpler to get working (and use), but they're
outside my radar at this point. You may want to look further into
getting KdeprintFax working before messing with Hylafax server.

It's odd to me that you have hylafax (client) installed without the
server portion, as my rpms included both. It seems kind of pointless on
a distro like Mepis, since the server portion would have to run on a
separate box if it's not included. I'm guessing that either the server
portion was too big to include, or they only include the client side of
applications.

Anywise, to get hylafax going, verify that the server software is
installed. Follow the directions at
http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.html#ss2.3.3 to install it on
debian. There's quite a bit there that you don't necessarily need (such
as installing from source), so just weed through it. If you have any
configuration questions or issues, let me know.

[1] http://www.hylafax.org
--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;