Re: Netgear MA401 16-bit PCMCIA wifi card and FC3

Author: Mike Hoy
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Netgear MA401 16-bit PCMCIA wifi card and FC3
I went over to Craig White's place and after about an hour and a half we
got the card working. Well actually he got it working, I was all out of
ideas.

The bottom line:

ditch Kwifimanager!

kwifimanager is probably a useful tool for searching for available
wireless nets but it was not helpful for troubleshooting this problem.

Go directly to Network Configuration (in Gnome: Applications > System
Settings > Network)
and setup your wireless card. Activate it. Specific instructions here
are hard to give as it depends on your situation. By choosing this
little application the wireless was no problem at all. I later set it up
to start at boot up and now wifi just works when the computer turns on.

Network was only useful 'AFTER' kudzu identified and put module
into /etc/modprobe.conf.

ifup and ifdown work as well.

modprobe.conf has:
alias eth2 orinoco_cs

also if necessary run:
kudzu
from command line and configure your netgear wifi card.

kudzu identified the hardware
and wrote the entry:

alias eth1 orinoco_cs

in modprobe.conf

if you start without wireless card in slot, it may run kudzu. Best to
tell it to do nothing otherwise, it will remove entry from modprobe.conf

I wish I could give you a nice step by step but we tried so many things
So fast I only really remember the bottom line.

mike h