Re: OT re my wife's XP - - - - - I apologize

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: Everything else - emacs {WAS: Re: OT re my wife's XP - - - - - I apologize}
Subject: Re: OT re my wife's XP - - - - - I apologize
On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 08:44 -0700, Bill Warner wrote:
> > > crontab - visudo and some others seem to force the issue. Also when I
>
> These are all dependent on your $EDITOR variable. change it to pico,
> emacs, elvis, nano, what ever you'd like that edits text.
>
> export EDITOR=pico <enter>
>
> hope this helps some non-vi people.....What am I thinking?? Scratch that
> everyone should be a vi person. Forget what I said above. Just suffer
> through learning vi. I did.

----
I know what I need to know about vi...

cursors work
press 'i' to enter insert mode
do dirty work
press 'esc' key to enter command mode
press ':wq' to write my changes and quit or
press ':q!' to abort

everything else - emacs ;-) vi seems to be dark ages editor

I did know about exporting things like EDITOR and PATH but I always
feared editing things like crontab and sudo users with anything other
than vi...looks like this list has emboldened me once again

Craig