Re: OT re my wife's XP - - - - - I apologize

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT re my wife's XP - - - - - I apologize
On Jan 25, 2005, at 10:24 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 06:22 -0800, Michael wrote:
>> No comment!!! I even use kvim when I am desperate..
>
> don't know kvim (presume it's a KDE version of vi) but I use vi when
> I'm
> desperate myself. ;-)
>
> crontab - visudo and some others seem to force the issue. Also when I
> use IPCOP routers (used to use smoothwall but ipcop is way cooler) as
> they seem to ignore the fact that emacs is better ;-)

Well, I'm a huge fan of vi (vim, specifically) and can't imagine doing
any serious text editing without it. HOWEVER, I just had to note that
while something like visudo might force vi on you, crontab does not.
In fact, because of some 'issues' with crontab on OS X, I've taken to
editing my crontab files out of process. So instead of doing 'crontab
-e', I just create a text file called $HOME/Documents/crontab and edit
it at my leisure with any editor I want (vi, in my case). Then, when
I'm satisfied, I install it via '% crontab $HOME/Documents/crontab' and
voila!

The point being that you could use any text editor at all to edit the
crontab file.