Re: BSD vs SysV init scripts

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: BSD vs SysV init scripts
On Sunday 23 January 2005 05:30 pm, Craig White kindly wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 17:02 -0700, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 January 2005 04:35 pm, Rod Heyd kindly wrote:
> > > As for the whole init.d and rc*.d heirarchy:
> > >
> > > Think of it this way: all of the scripts that start (or stop)
> > > all of your services are located in the init.d directory. Now
> > > each run level can be set up to start (or stop) any service you
> > > like. This is set up by the symlinks in the rc*.d folders.
> > > So, for example, when you switch to
> > > runlevel 5, all the symlinks in rc5.d get run. The symlinks
> > > starting with a K specify services that will be stopped,
> > > Symlinks starting with an S specify services that will be
> > > started, and the numbers after the K or S, specify the order in
> > > which the service will be
> > > started/killed.
> >
> > So would I just put a K in front of any service that I don't want
> > to run?
>
> ----
> NO - chkconfig servicename off
>
> K is for Kill
> S is for Start
>
> this isn't that obtuse
>
> chkconfig --list sendmail (shows you its status on all runlevels)
>
> man chkconfig - why are you so resistant?

I don't think I'm being resistant, but I'm sorry if I came off
sounding that way. I just haven't been able to use it to see for
myself exactly what you're talking about. It probably makes a lot of
sense, but for me now it's just theory, so is therefor confusing.
Like I said, I'm a slow learner. It isn't resistance, it's called
having a non-verbal learning disorder (NVLD.)

I do really appreciate your time.

Siri Amrit