Re: BSD vs SysV init scripts

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: BSD vs SysV init scripts
On Sunday 23 January 2005 04:35 pm, Rod Heyd kindly wrote:

> As for the whole init.d and rc*.d heirarchy:
>
> Think of it this way: all of the scripts that start (or stop) all
> of your services are located in the init.d directory. Now each run
> level can be set up to start (or stop) any service you like. This
> is set up by the symlinks in the rc*.d folders. So, for example,
> when you switch to
> runlevel 5, all the symlinks in rc5.d get run. The symlinks
> starting with a K specify services that will be stopped, Symlinks
> starting with an S specify services that will be started, and the
> numbers after the K or S, specify the order in which the service
> will be
> started/killed.

So would I just put a K in front of any service that I don't want to
run?

> So for any given runlevel it's pretty easy to see which services
> will be started or stopped just by looking at the symlinks. There
> shouldn't be any need to add or delete a bunch of symlinks unless
> you want to change what services are run by default in a particular
> runlevel.
>
> As for needing to work in run-level 1, that shouldn't really be an
> arbitrary decision. If you need to work in single user mode then
> you shouldn't *want* to have all those services running,

I don't want them running. I was worried that they would run unless I
did something to stop them.

> and if you
> need to start one of them up, its easy enough to just change
> directories to /etc/init.d/ and run the startup script, usually
> something like: ./servicename start should be all you need to do
> get start a specific service running (at any runlevel).

That's good to know.

> > I've actually spent hours and hours studying this, and tried
> > various little programs to edit the symlinks, and it just seems
> > like a convoluted mess compared to the BSD-style init scripts in
> > Slackware. Just my opinion.
>
> I have to say that I think this is really funny. I know a lot of
> BSD people that just can't seem to grok SysV init (and I admit that
> I had similar troubles when I went from adminning slack boxes to
> Solaris and redhat boxes). It is a different sort of beast, but I
> also think it's a lot more logical once you understand how it
> works. Once I figured it out, I realized instantly that SysV was a
> *lot* better, and a lot easier to maintain and update.

Hmmmmm.....

People on this list have asked me how I can use Slackware when I'm so
commandline-challenged and such a slow learner. I think it's because
it's so simple and logical, and I'm just too dumb to use any of the
"easier" distros :-p

Siri Amrit