Re: BSD vs SysV init scripts

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: BSD vs SysV init scripts
On Sunday 23 January 2005 04:12 pm, Craig White kindly wrote:

> better to use chkconfig system to enable/disable these rather than
> manually deleting/creating them. Nice system in place for that.
>
> As root...
> chkconfig sendmail on
> or
> chkconfig --levels 2345 sendmail on
> or
> chkconfig --levels 35 sendmail on
> chkconfig --levels 24 sendmail off
>
> man chkconfig
>
> Note that the line like...
> # chkconfig: 2345 80 30
>
> will set the location and levels of chkconfig commands. 2345 means
> operate on those levels, 80 means start S80 and 30 is K30.
>
> man chkconfig - it's rather easy to manage once you play with it.

I'll look into chkconfig, thank you. It's not just about one or two
apps, though. The problem with some of the distros is that they don't
give you an option at installation time of picking and choosing the
packages to install. They install a LOT of server apps and turn them
on by default. Sometimes I hesitate to uninstall things, not sure if
doing so will break something else.

I don't like the "feel" of Mandrake or its' propensity for bugs, but I
really like that it separates server apps into a section that doesn't
have to be installed at all, that at the end of installation it shows
all the services installed and lets the user turn them off or on.
Slackware does something similar.

> Editing the symlinks is foolish

I agree. Thanks again.

Back to my original question, though. Are there any distros not based
on Slackware (like Vector or Buffalo) that use the BSD-style init
scripts rather than SysV?

Siri Amrit