Re: BSD vs SysV init scripts

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: BSD vs SysV init scripts
On Sunday 23 January 2005 04:09 pm, Bart Garst kindly wrote:

> If memory serves, starting X with startx from run-level 3 will keep
> you at run-level 3.

So, since I like to boot into runlevel 3 (or the equivalent in another
distro) I would only have to edit the symlinks for that runlevel,
even though I eventually go into a GUI like KDE?

> Also worth mentioning, debian & RedHat use different run-levels for
> their "defaults".
>
> RedHat has run-level 3 as a multi-user, non X, run-level. Debian
> uses run-level 2 for that and it *does* use X.
> RedHat boots into run-level 5 by default. Debian uses 2.
>
> I'm not trying to make this more confusing. I'm just trying to
> point out that what happens at what run-level isn't set in stone.
>
> Run-level 1 is single-user, shell only. This is what you use when
> you break things (at least I do). It's a minimal start-up - no
> services.

# These are the default runlevels in Slackware:
# 0 = halt
# 1 = single user mode
# 2 = unused (but configured the same as runlevel 3)
# 3 = multiuser mode (default Slackware runlevel)
# 4 = X11 with KDM/GDM/XDM (session managers)
# 5 = unused (but configured the same as runlevel 3)
# 6 = reboot

> > Do I have to delete or comment-out the symlinks in both runlevel
> > 3 and 4-5? What if I decide to work for awhile in runlevel 1?
> > Will the services start up there? I don't want to have to delete
> > a ton of symlinks in all the runlevels.
>
> I use webmin to set what starts and when. It's pretty painless.

I guess I'll have to look into webmin if I use a SysV system.

Siri Amrit