Re: BSD vs SysV init scripts

Author: Bart Garst
To: PLUG Discuss
Subject: Re: BSD vs SysV init scripts
On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 15:54, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> On Sunday 23 January 2005 12:08 pm, Jay kindly wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:

...snip...
> Thank you, Jay. Let me try to understand this:
>
> According to my /etc/inittab, I boot into runlevel 3,
> console/multiuser. Then I type "startx" to go into KDE or whatever.
> Once I'm in X am I still in runlevel 3? I thought I'd be in runlevel
> 4 or 5, but when I opened a shell in KDE, the "runlevel" command said
> I was still in runlevel 3.

Sorry to butt in...
If memory serves, starting X with startx from run-level 3 will keep you
at run-level 3. However, having run-level 5 as the default will boot you
into X on startup.

Also worth mentioning, debian & RedHat use different run-levels for
their "defaults".

RedHat has run-level 3 as a multi-user, non X, run-level. Debian uses
run-level 2 for that and it *does* use X.
RedHat boots into run-level 5 by default. Debian uses 2.

I'm not trying to make this more confusing. I'm just trying to point out
that what happens at what run-level isn't set in stone.

Run-level 1 is single-user, shell only. This is what you use when you
break things (at least I do). It's a minimal start-up - no services.

> Do I have to delete or comment-out the symlinks in both runlevel 3 and
> 4-5? What if I decide to work for awhile in runlevel 1? Will the
> services start up there? I don't want to have to delete a ton of
> symlinks in all the runlevels.

I use webmin to set what starts and when. It's pretty painless.

Bart