Re: Can an installation "deteriorate" over time?

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Can an installation "deteriorate" over time?
On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 22:07 -0700, der.hans wrote:
> Am 15. Jan, 2005 schwätzte Siri Amrit Kaur so:
>
> > I'm running Slackware 10.0 and KDE 3.2.3. I had stuff set up the way I like
> > it, and little by little things seem to be breaking. I've noticed this
> > before, and it's almost like I need to do a fresh install to get everything
> > working again. I'm waiting for 10.1 to come out before I do another install.
>
> The main ways a system can 'deteriorate' are:

----
I really thought that 'software rot' was as colorful as terminology
gets. Deteriorate sounds so clinical, like vagi... well, you get the
idea.
----

> 1. further software installs
> 2. software updates
> 3. software, especially kernel drivers, getting wedged
> 4. hardware flaking

----
software wedgies? hardware flakes? Are these more clinical terms?

I would suppose that things like software updates can change
shared/linked libraries and broken dependencies too.

I don't imagine it's been different with other distro's but seeing
changes in the kernel from fedora-1, 2 and 3 - the migration from 2.4 to
2.6 kernels, most especially from 2.6.8 kernels to 2.6.9 and 2.6.10
kernels has been less than perfect. I see reports of things getting
whacked with each new kernel (and of course many things fixed too).

Even with the awesome collective knowledge on this list, the mail list
of the specific distribution is likely to be more exact with 'fixes' and
explanations of things that break or confuse.
----

> Sounds like Kmail ( or some lib ) had marked the connection as being down
> and changing the default reset the flag.

----
or greylisting or things stuck in the outbox for various reasons - bad
addresses, etc.

Craig