Re: Can an installation "deteriorate" over time?

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Can an installation "deteriorate" over time?
On Saturday 15 January 2005 10:45, you wrote:
> I'm running Slackware 10.0 and KDE 3.2.3. I had stuff set up the way I like
> it, and little by little things seem to be breaking. I've noticed this
> before, and it's almost like I need to do a fresh install to get everything
> working again. I'm waiting for 10.1 to come out before I do another
> install.

How strange! I must admit I haven't used Slackware in years, but software
rot is something I associate only with MS systems. I have had some
occasional trouble with my notebook (RH 7.3) probably due to frequent
reboots; a while ago the sound stopped working with I think was due to a
corrupted device file. (I know the hardware is OK because it still works
when I boot it into Windows.) Do you reboot or turn your system off
frequently? My two Linux tower systems are pretty much left on all the time,
and I don't have trouble unless I've done substantial monkeying with the
libraries. (That would be a good topic for a talk sometime - what are the
rules for compatibility of different library versions, etc., etc.)

> For instance, I used to be able to play music CD's from the CD-ROM drive,
> either by pressing the play button on the drive or using the KDE CD player
> or XMMS. I can't do that anymore. It doesn't "see" /dev/hdd anymore. It
> used to work, then a few months ago it got all glitchy. I managed to
> reconfigure things somehow in the CD player app and it worked, but now it's
> failed again. Any apps I try to use generally lock up while searching for
> the drive. If it finds the disc at all, it plays for one second then stops.
>
> When I press the play button on the drive itself, it revs up then slacks
> off, over and over. It used to work, now it doesn't. I haven't changed
> anything in /etc/fstab, or anything else that I know of. I know the drive
> is good because I use it for ripping stuff to my harddrive all the time.

That's strange too. The only time I've had intermittent trouble with CD or
DVD drives is when they're on the verge of going bad.

> Another example is SMTP in Kmail. It will work fine for months, then
> suddenly I can't send mail from tigerflag.com, and neither can my husband
> in his user account. I get an error message that it can't find the account.
> This happened a few months ago. At one point I rebooted the computer and
> things were fine again. When it happened yesterday, I finally toggled the
> default account to intergate.com (I use two accounts: smtp.intergate.com
> and smtp.tigerflag.com) and it started working again for _both_ accounts.
> It was like something got jammed, and once I successfully sent from
> intergate.com, then tigerflag.com worked again. It doesn't make any sense!

Can you still browse the web when this happens?

> While I'd appreciate any suggestions for fixing the CD problem, I'm
> actually more interested in why my setup seems to be deteriorating over
> time.
>
> TIA,
> Siri Amrit

Sorry I can't offer much in the way of advice, but hopefully someone else
will have a different perspective. Good luck!

Vaughn