Re: Ubuntu - How to update programs?

Author: Ric Fischer
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Ubuntu - How to update programs?
> > I have another question, what's the easiest way to edit a text file
> > that's owned by root? Do you fire up a root shell and edit it there or
> > can I use the text editor in Gnome? When I used the text editor in
> > Gnome to edit sources.list, I was stuck in read-only mode. I'm
> > wondering if there's a sudo-ish way to use the GUI text editor and
> > giving myself root authority on a per-file-being-edited basis.
>
> Don't know if Ubuntu follows debian's lead, but debian has a root shell
> under debian->programs->system. debian might've actually gotten that from
> Knoppix, but I think it was in there before Knoppix became well-known.

Ubuntu's root shell is in Applications -> System Tools -> Root
Terminal. But, I'm trying not to be a naughty user by using it when I
really don't need to.

> > So, I bounced myself into a root shell and used pico to edit the file.
> > (Yea for Ubuntu...Linspire didn't even have pico pre-installed!)
>
> They should both have nano :). You might've actually been using nano via
> /etc/alternatives anyway.

Yes, nano's there. I found out about it after writing my message. Now
I just have to learn what's new about it. I've used pico for some time
on my virtual dedicated web server.

--
Ric Fischer