Re: Ubuntu - How to update programs?

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Ubuntu - How to update programs?
Am 14. Jan, 2005 schwätzte Ric Fischer so:

> I didn't know what "backports" meant, but I assumed it to mean "let's
> take a Debian apt-get install thingy and make it friendly to Ubuntu's
> apt-get". :-)

backports are programs that were ported back to an old version of
something. In this case June means firefox 1.0 might have been made
available for Ubuntu's stable distro.

debian gets backports for many things since there is so much time between
releases.

> I have another question, what's the easiest way to edit a text file
> that's owned by root? Do you fire up a root shell and edit it there or
> can I use the text editor in Gnome? When I used the text editor in
> Gnome to edit sources.list, I was stuck in read-only mode. I'm
> wondering if there's a sudo-ish way to use the GUI text editor and
> giving myself root authority on a per-file-being-edited basis.

Don't know if Ubuntu follows debian's lead, but debian has a root shell
under debian->programs->system. debian might've actually gotten that from
Knoppix, but I think it was in there before Knoppix became well-known.

> So, I bounced myself into a root shell and used pico to edit the file.
> (Yea for Ubuntu...Linspire didn't even have pico pre-installed!)

They should both have nano :). You might've actually been using nano via
/etc/alternatives anyway.

ciao,

der.hans
#  kill telnet, long live ssh - der.hans