Re: Ubuntu - How to update programs?

Author: Ric Fischer
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Ubuntu - How to update programs?
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:41:20 -0700, June Tate <> wrote:

> Well, you could use the Ubuntu backports collection at
> http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net/ or you could just stick with the
> default install of FF 0.9.3. Most people go ahead and migrate up to FF
> 1.0, though. =o)

I didn't know what "backports" meant, but I assumed it to mean "let's
take a Debian apt-get install thingy and make it friendly to Ubuntu's
apt-get". :-)

I did what the backports site said (added one line to sources.list),
then ran (thanks to Gabe's earlier email in this thread, I know how to
do this!) "apt-get update". Then I ran "apt-get install firefox" and
that didn't work.

Harumph!

Then I recalled a line flashing by during the install that said
"mozilla-firefox". So, I tried "apt-get install mozilla-firefox" and
it worked like a charm. When I saw it was downloading, I quickly
closed my Firefox window so apt-get could overwrite the program file.

I have another question, what's the easiest way to edit a text file
that's owned by root? Do you fire up a root shell and edit it there or
can I use the text editor in Gnome? When I used the text editor in
Gnome to edit sources.list, I was stuck in read-only mode. I'm
wondering if there's a sudo-ish way to use the GUI text editor and
giving myself root authority on a per-file-being-edited basis.

So, I bounced myself into a root shell and used pico to edit the file.
(Yea for Ubuntu...Linspire didn't even have pico pre-installed!)

Thanks, Gabe and June, for helping me get my Firefox updated.

--
Ric Fischer