Re: Importing MS Word Publication into Open Office

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Importing MS Word Publication into Open Office
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:17:08 -0700
Dennis Kibbe <> wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:42:19 -0700
> Victor Odhner <> wrote:
>
> > Can anybody advise me what I might be doing wrong, in
> > trying to bring .doc files into OO? See the links
> > below. The PDFs show how they look in MS Word.
> > This is a church newsletter, which is a simple
> > publishing exercise. I'm sure OO can handle stuff a
> > *lot* more complex than this. ...
>
> Victor,
>
> I'll take a look at the files in OOo tomorrow at work.
>
> I've opened some pretty complicated Word docs oi OOo without a problem.
>
> Dennnisk

Victor,

Had a brief look at the calendar doc and the pdf in OOo 1.1.2 on Win2k. They looked pretty close. Five minutes work would make them match, I'd guess.

I noticed that spaces and carridge returns were used for much of the formatting rather than tabs and paragraph spacing and that styles weren't used -- most everything was default text with text attributes applied individually. Styles do take a while to master but save time in the long run since style changes are easier to make. Just imagine programming without using defined variables, any changes would need to applied to each instance instead of changing a single variable.

When proper formating isn't done it always causes a problem. When I was doing graphics and received a document formated this ways it always meant extra work getting it to look right.

Dennisk