Re: emule

Author: KevinO
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: emule
Michael Garfias wrote:
> From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:
>
>   Stealing \Steal"ing\, n.
>      1. The act of taking feloniously the personal property of
>         another without his consent and knowledge; theft; larceny.

The Webster's definition doesn't matter. The legal one does.

> In what way am I depriving someone of an MP3 when I download it from
> them?  They still have it, they can still listen to it.    Its not
> stealing.  It is something else entirely.

You should be able to figure that out.

> Basically what it comes down to is that people (artists, software
> companies, movie studios, whatever) are going to have to learn a new
> way to make a buck.

Perhaps, but that doesn't excuse violating their rights, (The copyright
holders') nor breaking the law.

> If we listened to people with your thought process, we'd still be
> listening to the old paper tape piano things (whatever they were
> called).

The ONLY reason wire, magnetic tape, wax cylinders, lacquers, vinyl and CDs
were developed was to make money for the investors and inventors.

The people that produced the tapes were really upset when
> record players became available. IIRC they tried to get congress to
> intervene.

That has nothing to do with the discussion at had. Nobody was trying to 'copy'
piano rolls.

Buggy makers were upset about the advent of the automobile for the same
reasons. The technology was becoming unmarketable.

- --
Kevino

AMAZING BUT TRUE ...
    If all the salmon caught in Canada in one year were laid end to end
    across the Sahara Desert, the smell would be absolutely awful.