Re: emule

Author: Daniel P. Stasinski
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: emule
On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 12:37 -0700, Michael Garfias wrote:
> In what way am I depriving someone of an MP3 when I download it from
> them?  They still have it, they can still listen to it.    Its not
> stealing.  It is something else entirely. Basically what it comes down
> to is that people (artists, software companies, movie studios, whatever)
> are  going to have to learn a new way to make a buck.

I had a conversation with a school aged kid once.

Let's say as part of graduation requirements you have to write a thesis.
On the day you finish it, someone else copies it and turns it in for a
grade. That person gets a passing grade and you get kicked out of
school for plagiarizing "his" thesis.

Is this fair? Of course. It was not stolen. You still have your copy,
you can still read it and let others read it too. Besides, you deserved
what happened because not only did you leave your thesis where someone
else could find it but also because you had an unfair advantage over
your poor downtrodden classmates because you have your own apartment
rather than a shared dorm room and you can afford to eat at Wendy's
rather than eat Ramen noodles nightly.

Basically what it comes down is that you're just going to have to learn
a new way to get a passing grade.

Daniel