Re: OT: Educating users about Security

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Educating users about Security
> How do you explain the security risks of viruses, worms, spyware, etc. to
> people who need to take security seriously, but have NO technical background
> and don't want to believe that:
>
> 1. Their home computers are vulnerable.
> ("When I bought it 3 years ago it had Norton on it. Have I updated it? I think
> it does that automatically. You mean I have to pay for Norton?")
>
> 2. They have anything on their computer that anybody would want.
>
> 3. Bad guys would ever crack "their" computer
>
> 4. Having their computer used for Distributed Denial of Service attacks
> matters because they don't understand what a "server" is, therefor it can't
> be a big deal.
>
> 5. Keystroke loggers really can trace their sensitive data.
> (I don't believe that happens, but even if it does, who cares if their bank
> account gets raided? You just log a fraud complaint with the bank! Identity
> theft? I don't really believe it would happen to me!)
>
> 6. Their computer could be used as a porn server
> ("What's a 'server'? You're just paranoid. I don't believe it and I don't have
> time to go to the websites you recommend or read the stuff from CERT you
> printed up for me")
>
> I've tried to explain to them what can happen to compromised systems. No
> matter what I say, no matter how much I try to dumb-it-down for them, they
> don't "get" it, their eyes glaze over and they and ultimately respond with
> "But I don't care." Their level of denial and deliberate naivete is
> dumbfounding!
>
> So, "how do you solve a problem like Maria?"

Ask them if they still have the original box and receipt. If they do, tell them
to put the computer back in the box and take it back to the store....

The truth is, most people seem to be proud of their computer illiteracy ("I'm
computer illiterate" says the user with a big grin on their face like it is
something to be proud of) and seem to conciously choose to remain blind to what
is needed to properly own and maintain a computer. It is what keeps Best Buy
and other companies that do onsite support in business. Same thing with cars.
When they were a new thing, those who owned them learned how to properly
maintain them. Hell, they used to even come with tools to keep in the trunk
(talking 1910's etc...). Today cars are much more widespread, yet people seem
to be willing to at least do basic maintenance on their car (e.g. oil changes,
basic kick the tire type stuff...).