Re: OT: Educating users about Security

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Educating users about Security
On Saturday 13 November 2004 11:16 pm, technomage kindly wrote:

> Welcome to the world of the Technomage (folks like us who have skills that
> are, by all appearances, magic). There are very few people anymore who can
> even understand the technology, let alone how to use it or even what to use
> it for. Most humans don't like to think unless absolutely forced to. Its
> the same with technology. they expect it to work, no more, no less. These
> "appliance users" don't want to understand. its in their natures.
>
> > So, "how do you solve a problem like Maria?"
>
> well, the only way they can learn is through first hand experience. until
> then, they discount everything you say (its a hard life, but then, nothing
> worthwhile is ever easy, now is it?).

It just occurred to me that they don't understand most of what their doctors
tell them, either, but they'll trust their doctor without question. 100,000
people in the US die every year from doctors' mistakes, and 1,000,000 are
seriously hurt from doctors' mistakes. Why do they listen to doctors but
fight us every step of the way?