Re: OT: Educating users about Security

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Educating users about Security
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 09:43:59 -0700
Siri Amrit Kaur <> wrote:

> How do you explain the security risks of viruses, worms, spyware, etc. to
> people who need to take security seriously, but have NO technical background

[...]
> I've tried to explain to them what can happen to compromised systems. No
> matter what I say, no matter how much I try to dumb-it-down for them, they
> don't "get" it, their eyes glaze over and they and ultimately respond with
> "But I don't care." Their level of denial and deliberate naivete is
> dumbfounding!

Good question Siri and there is, in fact, no easy answer. Google on your subject "Educating users about Security" and you'll find a ton of opinions.

Trying to switch them to Mozilla/Firefox/T'bird helps. No need to even talk about security. Just show them how usercontent.css[1] blocks unwanted ads. They can relate to that!

Most users don't see themselves as part of the problem and just think viruses, worms, spyware, etc. is just a way of life. Once you get outside the Windows environment and start using Linux/Mac/BSD you have a different perspective on the problem.

Dennis
[1]http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/adblock.html