Re: Installfest Saturday 8/28

Author: Alexander Henry
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Installfest Saturday 8/28
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:07:56 -0700, Tom Achtenberg <> wrote:

> PHB is Pointy Hair Boss from Dilbert

Not only was I talking to executives who care, I was trying to make a
subtle analogy:

> By the end of the month, she applies her script, reducing hereight hour
> job to a thirty second procedure on a computer, and(assuming her
> employers think like entrepreneurs and not like'Pointy-haired Bosses')
> her time is free to pursue somethingmore productive, or hopefully
> something that requires humanjudgment and not simple number-pushing.

The employer who values people as part of an organization:
The employer who fires people to fill cheaper positions::
entrepreneur:
Pointy-haired Boss.

So I was mapping business language to hacker language. This is how execs
who care speak to each other, and this kind of thinking hits a nerve with
those kinds of execs. Every exec who has worked in a large corporation at
one time or another has worked with the type who would preach directly to
their employees, "Put your hand in a bucket of water. Pull it out. Look
at the water. This is the kind of effect you have on the company". They
look at PHB's like we look at the lazy database administrator that keeps
telling their boss "It can't be done!" when they just don't want to do the
work. They know that the PHB knows enough to be very dangerous, and
little more.

--

--Alexander