Need help with friends Cox Cable

Author: ec
To: plug
CC: galwith111
Subject: Need help with friends Cox Cable
I have a friend, windows xp user, that lately is
having problems with his cox connections. Since he is
on disablity, and doesn't have the $4/month 'line
maintance' crap, they want $50 IF it turns out to be
his modem, and not their cable connection. Knoppix
booted, found modem, but was just as slow..almost
creeping, as XP.

Cox wont even allow you to bring a modem (he bought it
from them 4 years ago) in, but talking with the
techies(???), I found out that IF I could take it to a
known good cox customer, they would give a 'temporary'
service to his modem on your line for verification of
good/bad at no charge!! Why those 'jerks' don't have a
setup in a 'service center' for just such ... OH. I
forgot, shaft the customer!!! That's it!!!

I suspect that, like my old dialup external modem that
SLOWLY got slower, his modem is possibly doing the
same thing. Started acting up about 2 weeks ago, and
is slowly?? getting worse. The 'techies' say they ping
and there is up to an 84% packet loss!!!

Tomorrow, I will take this ethernet pci card and my
ethernet cable that I am using right now to his place
just to make sure that it isn't between the modem and
the pci slot. But I seriously doubt that as the Cox
ping doesn't get past the modem..just to and fro the
modem.

Anyone in east phx, McDowell to mountains, from 15th
ave to Pima rd that I can get to to temporarily hook
up and make sure it isn't the modem? I have dsl, so I
cannot do that for him. (Bus rts 17, green, 41, 50)

He is wheelchair bound, and I am limited to bus/biking
around myself.

TIA.

AC 480
pre 949