Re: Need help with friends Cox Cable

Author: ec
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Need help with friends Cox Cable
--- Michael Sammartano <> wrote:
> The problem is most likely the connections in the
> area. Did he add a
> splitter? TV? etc! In my experience with COX when
> there is packet loss
> of that magnitude it is always something silly.
> Perhaps he has a faulty
> coax from wall to modem. Problem could also be in to
> long of a cable
> from wall to modem. Look at all the possibilities.
> The last one being
> the modem. Modems do not slowly go bad, tey are
> either good or bad! No
> moving parts, therefore not likely.

All I know is that last year, my dialup modem did the
slow die over about 8 months. Wife's was cooking at a
consistant 40+kb and mine, after June/July would only
get around 33kb. It finally died in Feburary, that is
when I got the qworst cheapie dsl 256/256kb. And since
it isn't 'totally' down, cox is trying to 'sell' the
service and modem. I don't trust them as the saying
goes 'as far as I can throw them'!! My Hayes Accura
56k did the slow die till it finally took the fairly
fast 'last breath'..that took two days of 10k-25k!! We
watched that 'meter/graphic' that kppp has for
send/recieve speeds.

Cox says that the others on 'that street' are up and
no or almost no packet loss on their pings!!

Still would like to 'hook it up to a good known line'
and IF the stupid that comes out tries to sell a new
and it worked with your (whoever) line, I/we/Jim could
basically argue the point!! We got 'burned' last time
he had a problem..the 'stupid' completely crashed his
o/s!! Don't know how, but he did. Then, his 'gateway
junker's' cd's wouldn't completely and cleanly
reinstall/repair/whatever his o/s. He had a crippled
system for about a year. A real weird way of getting
it all the way up! I wasn't into linux any (and still
am way below all you guys), and it was about a ten
minute, weird boot that he finally got going with!!
SO, we are somewhat worried with them touching the
keyboard!!

I also plan tomorrow, since I won't be 'with someone
else who was not interested like today', to check all
connections.

What I did yesterday was plug the main line thru the
wall straight into the modem and yesterday it didn't
'improve it (it was still totally dead then, no steady
cable light)'!!! He has a three way splitter, two
tuners in the tv and the cable box. One goes straight
to 'tuner 2', one into the cable box, and the last one
into the modem. Been that way for over a year, no
problems, but like I said, I unhooked the splitter and
straight into the modem, still no go yesterday, then
about an hour after I left, the 'cable' light was on,
and he sent an email, but slowly. The TV seems to work
just fine, no lines or anything in the picture on any
channel.

When trying it in xp this morning, mail.yahoo.com took
about a whole minute to pop this morning. Guessing
about 5k/bits of bandwidth!!

Yes, I THINK it is their problem, but Jim is broke for
the month and who knows what the 'stupid' will try to
stick him with. IF it is the modem, the wife and I can
get one from Fry's or whoever has one on sale. But I
want to KNOW it is bad.

He got a small, and it is gone into the previous cpu
and tv, inheritance a few years ago. When you are
basically home bound unless someone helps you go, and
then only short trips which you 'pay' for with pain
for a day or two, you need something like cox cable tv
and the internet (Jim loves gaming) to while away the
time!!

He cost us about $50 this week, he got sick and had to
go to the doc on Thursday. I slept two nights on the
floor, thur/fri night, at his place. So I know the
'net' is messed up now. 'Twas glad to get home and on
the 'fast and steady' 256k dsl here!!

=====
Cyclists should expect and demand safe
accommodation on our public roads,