Kino FX from file?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Kino FX from file?
Being now the happy owner of a digital video recorder, I am experimenting and
learning how to get the video in the computer and burn discs. I have burned
my first disc that plays in my DVD player!

That first disk was very plain: Dump the video in via Kino, export it as MPEG,
burn to VCD via K3B. Worked fine. Now I am learning more of Kino's
features, including the "FX" tab where you can do fades and so on.

I want to create a graphic in GIMP to use as a scene title. The Kino FX
allows you to specify a file to use to render a transition effect. I am
follow a time from this web site, http://www.a2rt.org/vid/doc.html (look
under the "FX" heading), that states this file must be "720x576 px and saved
as a TIFF." However, when I pull it into Kino, the graphic file in question
is badly "scrambled" almost beyond recognition.

When you save a single frame out of the video stream, Kino saves it as 640x480
so I resized my graphic to match this. It did not help, just changed the
scramble a bit. :^(

Does anyone have experience using Kino to do this? What am I doing wrong?

Alan