Re: Kino FX from file?

Author: Ted Gould
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Kino FX from file?
On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 22:59, Alan Dayley wrote:
> I want to create a graphic in GIMP to use as a scene title. The Kino FX
> allows you to specify a file to use to render a transition effect. I am
> follow a time from this web site, http://www.a2rt.org/vid/doc.html (look
> under the "FX" heading), that states this file must be "720x576 px and saved
> as a TIFF." However, when I pull it into Kino, the graphic file in question
> is badly "scrambled" almost beyond recognition.
>
> When you save a single frame out of the video stream, Kino saves it as 640x480
> so I resized my graphic to match this. It did not help, just changed the
> scramble a bit. :^(

I haven't done this before, but what it sounds like to me is that you
need to make the graphic in the exact size of the video stream. So, if
there is no way to detect the size of the data, I'd make an image in
GIMP that has a black stripe down the center. Then if you import this
image you should be able to see where the edges of the black stripe is
when the rows wrap around, and estimate to figure out the size of the
next image. Rise, repeat, until your black stripe looks perfect.

        --Ted

PS - To detect the size you might actually try 'file'. It does several
graphics formats, may do DV also...