mgetty nonsense

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: mgetty nonsense
perhaps there's a better way and someone who is enlightened can clue me
in to analog methods.

I have a client with a single dial-up line and it has now failed to
return to auto answer mode (USR Sportster/external).

I have /etc/inittab set to...
ppp0:345:off:/sbin/mgetty -x 5 ttyS0

and it worked for quite a while but one day failed to return to
auto-answer mode so I used the Microsoft method of fixing things...I
rebooted. It worked fine for a few weeks but now it went back to
non-answering mode again so I simply ran the command from cli...
mgetty -x 5 ttyS0

and it appeared to hang so I aborted (control-C) and looked at
/var/log/mgetty.log.ttyS0 and in had...

07/13 17:41:44 yS0 check for lockfiles
07/13 17:41:45 yS0 lockfile found, pid=16405

so I killed -9 16405 and then ran 'init q' and I'm back online.

Is there some more elegant way of handling this?

Craig