Re: Way OT: obsolete MS driver resources

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Way OT: obsolete MS driver resources
I don't know, Vaughn. My fiance told me about the Sony site. Now she
says it could have been HP or IBM (she was visiting all 3 sites the
night before). The Sony site does appear to have device drivers for W95
for some models. I presume you've entered your model info at the Sony
site to see what they have (and what they don't). If Sony doesn't have
it and neither does driverguide.com, I don't know anything else to suggest.

Vaughn Treude wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 June 2004 19:13, you wrote:
>
>>Sony sells recovery CDs for a modest ($15 or so) price. I presume that
>>would include all the appropriate drivers. See
>>http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/select-p-n.pl
>>

> I do have the CD's, though the drivers in question are for Windows ME. I've
> gotten other versions of the same drivers from Intel and IBM. They all
> install. None of them work. They fail with a very helpful "Device failure:
> Try changing the driver for this device. blah blah blah (error code 2)". I
> guess wasn't clear about the problem - didn't want to belabor the point. I
> know that the danged device works - it works in WinME, Win2K, Red Hat 7.2 and
> Knoppix. Just don't know why the stupid thing won't work. Really makes me
> appreciate Linux all the more.
>
> Vaughn
>

>>Vaughn Treude wrote:
>>
>>>Hello again:
>>>
>>>I wouldn't make this request if I wasn't sort of desparate but -
>>>I need to support a legacy product under Win 95. I obtained a CD and
>>>installed said obsolete OS in a spare partition of my Sony Vaio notebook.
>>>But I'm unable to get the Intel Pro/100 NIC to work, and the NIC is
>>>required for the product. (Note: I tried a 3Com PC card adapter and that
>>>didn't work either.) Could anybody point me to a good resource that
>>>might help me with these kinds of driver issues? Google doesn't have
>>>much on stuff that ancient. I am anxious to get this project out of the
>>>way and get back to working on a reasonable, open OS.
>>>
>>>Thanks and apologies,
>>>Vaughn

-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;