Re: Way OT: obsolete MS driver resources

+ (application/pgp-signature)
Author: Bill Jonas
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Way OT: obsolete MS driver resources
On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 04:13:18PM -0700, Eric Shubes wrote:
> Sony sells recovery CDs for a modest ($15 or so) price. I presume that
> would include all the appropriate drivers. See
> http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/perl/select-p-n.pl

But for 95? For about a year, until six months ago, I was working as a
PC technician at a computer retailer (damned economy). Customers of
ours who needed the OS reloaded and didn't have the recovery CDs
couldn't get them for computers that came with Windows 98, let alone 95.
(I'm not sure if it was all manufacturers or just certain ones.) I
specifically remember calling one of the manufacturers (might've been
HP) and being told that they could no longer sell anyone the recovery CD
because their contracts with Microsoft forbade them to do so.

--
Bill Jonas    *        *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step