Re: Need Linux-friendly ISP

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Need Linux-friendly ISP
Don Calfa said:
> wrote:
>
>>Lost EarthLink dial-up user names. Found the one for the basic web
>> connection, but can't figure out how to get my email. (This is through
>> the web. Sorry for any HTML.) EarthLink wants you to use their canned
>> application or go away (no Linux support).
>>

> I just dialed up via Earthlink normal PPP client, no canned app.

Earthlink is does not "require" their custom application but they really
push it, even for DSL subscribers. I can understand why someone would
think that they have to have it. When you call tech support they
immediately assume that you are running the Earthlink access applications
on MS Windows.

The no Linux support is correct. However, they will not kick you off if
you use Linux and even maintain a linux newsgroup. But, if you call tech
support, they don't usually know how to help with Linux stuff and
"officially" won't help.

I have been using Earthlink with Covad DSL over two years now. No real
complaints. Using Linux that entire time. Dial-up should work fine, as
you report. Just come to PLUG for support!

Alan