Re: bad modem

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: Re: bad modem- New: Bad drive?
Subject: Re: bad modem
> Well, about a year ago whenever I was in CTRL-ALT-F? it started to spit out
> some text:
> scsi1: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x8
> scsi1: Data Parity Error Detected durring address or write data phase
> scsi1: WARNING WARNING WARNING
> scsi1: Too many PCI parity errors observed as a target.
> scsi1: Some device on this bus is generating bad parity.
> scsi1: This is an error *observed by*, not *generated by* this controller.
> scsi1: PCI parity checking has been disabled.
> scsi1: WARNING WARNING WARNING

What all do you have on the PCI bus? The error message is being created by a
scsi driver, so could be a failing drive on the SCSI bus. Only real way to tell
is to remove each PCI card one at a time until the error is no longer generated.

> And no one knew what the problem was. Well, today it spit out some new text:
>
> ABORTED IN=ppp0 MAC= SRC=*66.242.102.40* DST=67.219.70.165 LEN=40 TOS=0X00
> PREC=0X00 TTL=116 ID=*58972* PROTO=TCP SPT=*110* DPT=*1170* SEQ=*678091395*
> ACK=*678091395* WINDOW=0 RES=0X00 RST URGP=0
> (numbers between '*' changed)
>
> Wait- this looks network related. Could this mean that my modem card is bad?
> The destination is my IP address and I guess the source address is the ISP. I

This is just iptables dropping some packet because it matched a rule to just
dump it. By chaning the SPT part, makes it hard to help you figure out what set
it off.