Re: Conversion to postgresql

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Conversion to postgresql
On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 16:23, Trent Shipley wrote:
> On Thursday 2004-05-20 15:34, Craig White wrote:
> > Have data in Filemaker Pro - want to move it to postgresql
> >
> > Filemaker can export to tab delimited, csv, dbf
>
> Short version:
>
> See the pg COPY command.

----
well, it's better than nothing. I was hoping for a little more magic ;-)
----

> > apparently there was a utility called dbf2pg but all links to that are
> > dead
> >
> > There is a commercial product called 'Filemaker Migrator' - commercial
> > ($100) not too much money to buy but destroys open source initiative.
>
> ( @#$% dogmatic freeware fundamentalists.)

----
I am rapidly losing my pragmatism ;-)
----
> (Appologies if this is insultingly basic.)
>
> I don't have much time on Postgresql. It sounds like you either want a
> direct, magic connection. It would automigrate the Filemaker schema to pg
> and then autopopulate the same. Migration complete (good luck) .
>
> (You *could* write your own with something like PERL with a pg_dumpall file
> format as the program's output target. That is more work than my lazy
> programmer self would want to do, however.)

----
not insultingly basic - but it is of course, something that I would
prefer not to slug through - especially considering my perl skills are
/dev/null
----

> The next step down would be something like MS SQL Server DTS that provides a
> slick visual programming language for data migration. (Doesn't exist for
> pg.)

----
This is actually the sort of thing that this Filemaker Migrator portends
to be - sort of an odbc redirector - capable of various input output db
types including dbf/filemaker/mssql/mysql/pgsql/accessdb but of course,
the most limited is pg.
----

> More realistically you want something like Oracle's SQL*Loader. You would
> have to re-create the Filemaker schema by hand writing DDL. Then you dump
> the data from Filemaker table-by-table. Then you load it to the new PG
> database/schema table-by-table.
>
> I had to resort to third party documentation (Geschwinde and Sch&oumlaut;nig
> 2001) to find that the PG built in for this is the COPY command. It is not
> nearly as elegant or complete as SQL loader but should work.
>
> Note also:
> http://www.postgresql.org/
> has a newbie mailing list where this sort of question would no doubt be very
> welcome.

----
probably so - I wasn't that eager to join another list.

Yes, you were right on the mark - thanks for the insights - I suppose I
will pony up the $100 but the '@#$% dogmatic freeware fundamentalist' in
me will feel like I'm cheating.

Craig