Re: Mepis accolades

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Mepis accolades
On Friday 05 March 2004 10:49, you wrote:
> Michael Havens wrote:
> > WOW. I installed my new HD successfully and found that I didn't have to
> > do anything extra to get my modem to work besides set the wvdial.conf
> > file.
>
> Mepis looked interesting so I downlaoded the live version. Needless to
> say I was dissapointed when it did not detect my mouse. I keep wanting
> to get rid of Windows and I keep evaluating Linux, only to have it fall
> short of my needs. Or maybe the learning curve is too steep presently.
>
> I'll keep trying the live versions and hopefully something will click
> one day. I really like the Debian philosophy but they are no where near
> the usability in terms of the desktop for me. Hopefully time will
> correct this with the Debian on the Desktop project.

It's unfortunate that Linux still has problems with hardware detection. I've
tried a lot of distros, and for me the easiest install was Mandrake and the
best hardware-detector was Knoppix. Still, I've known people that have had
lots of trouble with Mandrake installs, so I expect it also relates to the
relative ages of the distro and the target machine. What's most frustrating
is that some boot CD's fail completely on some systems, or are completely
unable to handle installing the bootloader correctly. (One of the prime
offenders in this instance was Lindows - when it installs, it's very easy,
when it doesn't, it's impossible.) The most difficult situations is when you
have an old mobo and a new drive that needs custom boot-support; you need a
newer distro for that situation.

Vaughn